You stand in front of the mirror, pulling, prodding and pinching on your imperfections. Just a few more pounds/ kilos, just one more stone...and you'll be happy right?!
The fact is, you will never look at your body and truly love it, at least not if your only measurement for loving it is based on its appearance, or size, or weight.
I get it, I am this woman above, 36 years old tomorrow and never really satisfied with how I look. That is perhaps the saddest thing I have ever written. Imagine being a third of a way through your life and having no memory of ever having loved your body... and that applies to the majority of women, and men in their teens to fifties in the 21st century. That shit is terrifying and heart breaking to me.
Now, I may not be satisfied, but we should get this into perspective...I'm okay. I don't stress about my body, I do not "diet", I do not exercise obsessively. I have been there, done that and I have the t-shirt. I have the experience to know, that how my body looks is insignificant in comparison to how it performs. I have the wisdom to understand, that my body is just a vessel to much bigger and better things; I'm loving, hard working, compassionate and great at what I do. I know that the size of my ass or visibility of my abs makes absolutely zero impact on my ability to do what I do and this is what I want to pass on to you.
Until you learn to really love yourself, and not your body...you will never love your body. Celebrate your successes, your strengths, understand your weaknesses, hone your skills, become a better person, take time to enjoy moments instead of capturing them incessantly for social media, move more, stress less, spend time with people that make you feel alive, and beautiful and incredible. That is truly loving yourself.
I want to give you five things you can do right now, to get you a step closer to loving yourself:
- Unfollow anyone and everyone on instagram/ snapchat/ facebook/ twitter who doesn't impact your life positively. If they don't make you feel good, laugh, smile or feel inspired or educated, Unfollow. They serve you no purpose.
- Ditch the scales. They provide an arbitrary number which has the ability to control your emotions, be that positively or negatively. How can a chunk of electronics, plastic & metal have so much power over you? Throw them out.
- Write a list of everything which makes you you. What are you good at? What makes you great? What makes you special? What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses? Knowledge is power. Knowing yourself is probably one of life's most important things.
- Celebrate your successes. What have you done today or this week that is great? Be that for yourself or another. Write it down. Make it real.
- Make someone else feel good. Compliment someone. A friend, a relative, a stranger, a colleague. Reach out and have a real life interaction which enriches someones day. Pass on some good vibes. That stuff is infectious.
Life is short and fragile and its so important to make it meaningful and enjoyable. While your body might seem like it is your whole world; its not. Its just one small part of you and certainly doesn't define who you are as a person. Look after it, so it will look after you but don't over emphasise its importance. You are so much more.